Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Breakfast Day!

I'd like to declare it National Breakfast Day, but when I checked into the feasibility of such a declaration, I realized that I don't have much power beyond the political and, more importantly, physical boundaries of my apartment. Come to find out, my apartment doesn't qualify as so much of a sovereign nation, as a state of mind. And really, you can't do a whole lot of enforcing from a state of mind...at least not on a national level. 

Oh well. In here it's Breakfast Day.


I came home at lunch to make these and listen to Patsy Cline. It went off without a hitch.

It looks like puke now, but just you wait.


Honestly, I'm not a big pancake person. You know how you always think pancakes sound amazing, but then you make them and eat one and are like: All right, I'm done with these. What was I thinking? That's my general pancake experience. And then a couple months ago, I decided I needed an upgrade from Bisquick. So, I bought this Bob's Red Mill Organic High Fiber Pancake & Waffle Mix. It's good. I just use the recipe on the back of the bag and perfecto. The only thing is that my blackberries were so giant they made my pancakes more like chunk-cakes. So here it is:

The blackberries sizzle and carmelize!


Blackberry Chunk-Cakes
1 cup pancake mix
3/4 cup cold water
1 egg
1 TB oil


Things to add:
cinnamon and nutmeg (why not?)
blackberries (a handful or so)


Mix it all together and drop them into a pan...eat them with whatever suits your fancy. For lunch it was maple syrup (real maple syrup) and tangerines. I think for dinner, some kind of scramble will accompany the remaining cakes. Mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, cilantro? Along those lines.


That's what I'm talking about: Breakfast Day!


And while we're talking food, what's this sitting in the fruit basket? Pssst...to the left.


Uh-oh, Abbie, it's another pomegranate, lurking among the normal fruit.


That's right. I haven't learned my lesson about pomegranates. Or maybe I did learn my lesson, and it was a lesson of deliciousness that must be repeated. Only time will tell.


Here's a little creepy for today.


What's up with this crazy cephalopodic beak?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...