Thursday, November 11, 2010

sigh

My week's all out of whack. I don't know where it went off the rails exactly, but it did and there's no getting it back. I had big plans for today. It was going to be a baking day and a project day (time to get started on Christmas--I'm vastly behind schedule already) and a take-advantage-of-the-sunlight-coming-through-the-window-to-get-some-pictures-of-my-succulents day (so I could finally do that post). But you know what happened? I ended up watching all 3 episodes of Conan this morning. So far not too bad. And then I was going to make soup and some kind of cheddar biscuits and a batch of granola (with honey this time), but I was missing some crucial ingredients. The granola and soup were both nixed. The cheddar biscuits were put on hold while the butter softened. I had to eat up some time...so my plans were altered to include The West Wing. I mean, who didn't see that coming? The apartment was sort of cold, and I felt like I wanted to be under a blanket--blanketing. All right, shut up.


Well, I've got a cheddar biscuit recipe for you at least. Oh, and the knowledge that I'm working on crafty projects and won't be able to reveal details until after Christmas. Actually, until after Second Christmas, which will take place the second week in January, when the sisters and mother and I can all be together. I hope the results will live up to the anticipation. If, that is, the anticipation exists for any of you. Does it?

It wouldn't have killed me to dress this up a little.
A sprig of something green at least.


Cheddary Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 TB baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 cups butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
(I used vanilla soy because that's what I had. Totally fine.)

1 cup shredded cheddar
(I image garlic, sage, pepper, onions would all be good additions.)


Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and butter together. You want the butter to be mostly cold (not melted!), and the mixture to get kind of pebbly. Beat the egg and milk together and add that to the flour/butter mixture. Add the cheddar, but don't over-mix! Just a couple times around the bowl. Get a little extra flour and knead the whole mess a few times for good measure. You can either make little biscuit blobs, or get out a rolling pin and roll the dough out and cut the biscuits in whatever shape suits your fancy. I went for a scone sort of shape. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them if your oven is at all sketchy (like mine). You never know when things will take a turn for the worse.


Also, it has not escaped me that today is Veteran's Day. While writing all the stuff I just wrote, I felt like I was being hostile, but when I read over it...I don't know. I guess not?


Well.


I read President Obama's Veteran's Day Proclamation. It's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...