Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rancho La Brea or Bust.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the Tar Pits. This was the amazing breakfast that was feasted on to give our bodies energy to tar pit it up later. Because I am not able to add captions I will just tell you that this was at BeaBeas in Burbank.The featured plate in the forefront of the shot was french toast with pineapple, walnuts, coconut and satsumas. It was amazing.

This was Tuesday and it was like no other. We ate a delicious breakfast, as we have already discussed. Then went on to visit Hollywood. Which had it's moments. But what I really want to show you is the La Brea Tar Pits.

Originally I was going to post this on Oct. 24th, which is National Fossil Day, but that didn't happen. My apologies, I will still tell you how it would have went on the 24th if that posting would have happened.

'In honor of this day I would like to share a story about four adventurers.' Wow, that sounds like I am setting this story up for a big disappointing climax, that will not be had. Let us change up the tune a bit...


My visit to Rancho La Brea was to see Pit 91, which was the 91st pit out of 100 explored during an excavation that took place between 1913-1915. In my opinion it is a bit crazy and
mesmerizing that Pit 91 is in existence, in existence in the middle of a city at that. On arrival to the park it seems pretty normal. You just walk down a path among the trees and grass... then there it is a chain length fence. You walk up to it and see a black pool, the smell doesn't grab your nostrils for another moment but when it does it really does. If you are patient enough you can see the gas bubbles form and burst from the pit. On occasion you hear one.


This is a tricky place because No. 1 it misleads you from the start as these pits are not actually filled with tar but asphalt. Tar is actually a man made substance... so lies right off the bat. No. 2 it is not a tar pit in another respect, it's actually a death pit. In fact over 10,000 fossil vertebrate individuals were retrieved from the pit. The large majority was the Dire Wolf, which I am sure placed that species in a dire situation. They really didn't adapt at not going into the pits after stranded deliciousness. Anyway there were many amazing things about Rancho La Brea, I could go on and on. But I don't want to ruin the surprise for any of you lucky enough to visit yourselves.

I believe someone is playing Pasty Cline really loud outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...