Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Make: Spray painted cockatoo


For whatever reason I have a couple large cockatoo ceramic statues. I love as is, the other I have never really taken a strong liking, and since I never shy away from painting some glazed ceramics I decided to take a shot and go for it once again. 

(Do you love the bottlebrush trees? They were a second Christmas gift from Christine--she bleached and dyed them herself. I think they're swell.)

Here is my adventure in spray painting another ceramic piece...


I don't have as many bird statues as I would like, but I do have some fun ones. The four smaller ones were purchased for me by Mother at an estate sale in Tacoma before I moved down to California. The pink and white cockatoo I got from a Value Village. Oh yeah, the lady gave me a deal on it.


I also purchased this at that same Value Village outing, but was never really fond of the painting. I mean, it's cute and all, but... I don't know I always thought that the eyes look hard. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the dark colors on the base. Enough reasons for me to want to change it up a bit.


I purchased some matte white spray paint, and got to work. I should mention that in the process I may have learned that I really like the smell of this spray paint. It was reminiscent of the sweet plastic (My Little Ponies) of our youth.


I had to usher Olive inside after a couple coats because the fumes started to linger. That little girl needs all her brain cells intact. She wasn't pleased at the disruption I posed to her nice little Sunday.


It took several coats to finally cover up that dark paint, but I managed to do it with minimal issues.


I haven't used this matte spray paint before, but I really love it. I was afraid the finished project would be unpleasant to touch, but it was surprisingly smooth and matte. I really liked the all white cockatoo, but naturally wanted to add a little gold accent.


A lovely new fresh faced ceramic cockatoo to adorn my living room.

12 comments:

  1. It looks so good, I want to go spray paint all the figurines! Unfortunately, I don't have any place to put them once I actually follow through on this new goal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! This was my first spray painting project... and I also don't have enough space for all my figurines.

      Delete
  2. That's adorable!! Makes me want to run out to Goodwill and get some cool random things to paint :)

    Mackenzie
    www.heybirdfriend.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I bet you'd make them look adorable.

      Delete
  3. Cute!! You did a great job! I agree with Mackenzie...I want to go look for things to paint too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy, and thank you for all your comments. My sisters and I love reading them.

      Delete
  4. I have a whole bunch of ceramic animals waiting for their day with white spray paint.....but I just love what you did with the little gold accent....it's so cute and gives it some personality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is perfect! Can I ask which plasti kote paint you use, if at all? In the UK, it's our only real option for a decent aerosol but I know in the States there are a bunch of good sprays. Which brand did you use? Gonna steal your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, and it's silly how easy it was. You just have to be careful that you don't start looking around the house like, "What else can I spray paint...?"

      Delete
  7. This morning I curated a "DIY Ceramic Animal Hall of Fame" collection (obviously, just my humble opinions) and this made the list! Obviously, not everything on the list is very “ceramic-y” but they are all adorable. A cockatoo is such a unique ceramic animal in the world of owls and elephants! The post is here: http://paintingsunny.com/2013/06/21/diy-ceramic-animal-hall-of-fame/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! I really appreciate the mention, and love the blog!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...