Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Meat to eat

Rouladen for New Year's Eve! You heard me. I called a butcher yesterday and I'm picking my beef up tomorrow afternoon. The butcher's was a first for me. I was actually pretty excited, and I almost told the butcher how excited I was, but then I thought he'd probably be like: weirdo. And really, he probably thought I was a weirdo already because when he asked how many pounds I wanted, I had no idea and just said, What do you think? Does it freeze well?

So, I'm getting 7 pounds. Is that too much? Too little? I honestly don't know. I don't buy meat that often and never from a guy wearing an apron with blood on it. But still, exciting!

So, today I roasted almonds. Also a first for me. It went down like this: I was eating raw almonds at work, and I thought: These would be so delicious if they were roasted in olive oil with sea salt. And then I came home and made that dream a reality. It takes about 25 minutes and is super easy.


Roasted Almonds
2 cups or so will fill a cookie sheet
enough olive oil to coat the almonds
a bit of sea salt

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Spread the olive oil-coated almonds on a cookie sheet and cook for 5 minutes. Pull them out and give them a stir, then back in the oven. Bake 5 minutes and stir, etc. for 20-30 minutes. Keep an eye out so they don't burn, and then gobble them up pronto.  Actually, allowing them to cool first is a good idea.

P.S. It's snowing like whoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...