This is the second in my series of four rattles for Gretchen. I'm steering away from poisonous this time around.
Yes, this is actually an edible mushroom: Coprinellus micaceus. According to Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest,
the Coprinellus "grows in large groups and clusters on hardwood stumps, buried roots, and other organic debris."
Hmm, sounds pretty findable, right? And Mushrooms of the PNW calls it a "good edible species."
Hopefully, it doesn't look strikingly similar to some deadly mushroom. Beware, amateur mycologists!
Two down, two to go!